Sunday, March 4, 2012

I am back, and it is about FOOD!

Hello, it has been a while.... I have been inspired today and it was from a bowl of pasta. I wanted to have Spold Mac from Le Bistro Montage in Portland. So I did a little research and found this recipe, and it looked about right (after all it does say it was submitted by Le Bistro Montage, Portland), so I decided to give it a shot knowing that Spold is half old mac and half spicy mac meant I just needed to find a way to make it cajun.

So with that I set out boiling my pasta and mixing together some Cajun seasoning (which I will put down what I used at bottom since I never follow a recipe so I can't just link a seasoning recipe ;) And of course, this being me, I didn't have all of the ingredients available so I had to do a substitute for the heavy cream (which was 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup butter warmed, which made for 1 cup of "heavy cream")

So I did the Old mac recipe:
  • 4 ounces heavy cream (used my heavy cream substitute)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 12 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
  • Pinch salt
  • Pinch white pepper (I only had black)
  • 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (sadly I only had Kraft grated Parm, but it was still good)
  • Pinch paprika (for color) (didn't put in cause my cajun seasoning had it in it)
  • 1/4-1tps Cajun Seasoning depending on your spice level *see below for recipe

Directions

Ladle cream into heated saute pan and add garlic and Cajun Seasoning. Reduce cream about 1/3 and add pasta, salt and white pepper. Heat until hot. Put in bowl or plate, top with cheese (I put my cheese in in the pan since Kraft parm doesn't melt too well) and paprika. Enjoy!

So what I did to make it Spold I have inserted into the recipe in the green type, it was so simple. Here it is.... I will put more Parm in next time (cause the batch I made drake with no garlic, had extra parm and it was really good too). You may also notice I did put chicken in, it was just some left over baked chicken, you can put what you like in it. It is good with fried spam cubes, sausage, chicken, or your favorite meat


*CAJUN SEASONING

1/4 tsp Onion Powder

1/4tsp Garlic Powder

1/2tsp black pepper

1/2tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper

1/4tsp Salt (ish)

1/8tsp Oregano

1/8tsp Smoked Paprika (I may add more next time)


.





No comments: